Sunday 27 July 2014

Day 1 (Brett)

Well - it's actually 7am day 2 now. In Kingaroy Steve and I got into the habit of getting to the airfield around 6am to prep the gliders. The water pressure is good, there are no distractions and you beat the heat.
So I'm back for at the apartment for breakfast.
6am at the tie-down area
Yesterday I had a good run for the first two legs - I caught a gaggle of 20+ gliders at the first turnpoint and managed to get to the top by the second AAT area. From there things got a bit soft and a little after the last turn I only needed one more climb - in fact my computer said I was on a MC1 final glide with nothing to spare. In the haze I hadn't seen that the outflow from a CB near Leszno earlier had cut off thermal development and I never got another climb, so I trickled in at a very slow speed watching my task speed wind back from 128 to 123km/h. At least I made the airfield but it was character building.
John did exceptionally well for 2nd place and must rate well for a podium position.


1 comment: