Saturday 12 July 2014

Leszno at last (Brett)

I arrived at Leszno airfield at 2pm this afternoon. That was 1 hour later than my GPS trip computer in the car
predicted. I did see an unnecessary amount of rural Polish countryside enroute but it proved worthwhile for a few observations:

  • I have a rather strained relationship with vehicle navigation systems.
  • All the beautiful large flat fields I have seen on Google Earth while super-imposing old Leszno .igc files are filled with either maize or wheat.
  • The country roads are one lane and although they look in good condition maximum speed with a trailer is 55kmh due to the undulations.
Lest you think I am painting a gloomy picture there have been a healthy amount of positives today:

This photo taken at 6pm from my hotel room at Leszno
Cloud base about 5k agl. Whoopee.
  • The wheat fields are just beginning to be harvested. I see a week making a big difference in land-out opportunities.
  • The airfield is HUGE! I had looked at it in various photographs and Google Earth but they do not do it justice. There is much activity here (Saturday) with parallel vectors in use aerotowing, winch launch gliders, winch launch paragliders and GA circuits. 
  • Lesno (and Poland) is much less 2nd world than I had expected. It is clean but sometimes a little dated. My hotel room is a very acceptable 3 star with a clean tidy room but in a glorious palette of yellow, oranges and browns. Very 80's - but hey, I'm old.
  • Beer at the airfield hotel is 6 zloty for a 500ml glass. That's $2.40!
I'm looking forward to Steve, Lisa & family arriving Monday now. Time for some company.

No comments:

Post a Comment