Tuesday 15 July 2014

July 15th (Brett)

Today is gazetted as unofficial practice day 2. I took the day off yesterday to attend to mundane issues like laundry and getting settled in to this town for the next month.The wx looked pretty average to be flying anyway.
This morning I ran into the Wallace family at breakfast. We spent the morning rigging Steve's particularly well sorted out ASW27 B and generally fine tuning our gliders.
We are among gliding royalty here - Dick Butler was rigging his Concordia and I got talking to Janus Centka who is flying a Quintus here. (we flew together on Sunday for a while).
After lunch I was only one of three WGC pilots who took a launch and had my first proper x/c flight here (now I had a potential crew). A good day with about 300km looking at the terrain with average climbs of 4 to 5 kt to 5000ft. I hope the conditions hold.
So what did I learn today?
The yellow areas are wheat and the green is either maize or forestry
The city of Leszno

  • I am really happy with the way my (Davids) glider is performing. It is totally tweaked.
  • Apart from getting back into the groove of performance flying there is no local advantage with respect to flying out of Leszno. What you see is what you get, which is great news but leaves me with no excuses. The thermals and streets seemed to have little relation to the terrain below, whether it be forest or crops. However towns and power stations seemed reliable sources and lakes good trigger points. Nothing new there.
  • About 1% of the fields are harvested but that will rise to about 80% in 3 weeks, weather permitting.
  • The locals thought today was sub-par weatherwise
We met up with Tom and Kerrie Claffey and the Kiwis and Aussies cemented ANZAC ties over dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment