Saturday 19 July 2014

July 19th (Brett)

Today the briefing was much better. I could hear the interpreter and Uli Schwenk who was sitting next to me took pity and explained the unfamiliar charts which the weather man broadcast. As an aside I have got Uli keen on competing in the SI regionals this year.
The wx predictions were positive and we were all set a 550km racing task. I hadn't intended flying today but with poorer weather forcasted in a few days I changed my mind and it was all go to be ready. Steve and I were towards the back of the grid with only 2 tugs operating so we were away late.
The tow planes used are ancient workhorses with radial engines made by PZL. They are fine for dragging club Jantars into the air but totally inadequate for ballasted racing gliders. Anything over 60kts and the climb rate reduces to about 2 kts. So the pilots resort to towing at about 62 kts and thermalling up. This is highly exciting for the pilot of the 600kg glider turning in the wake turbulence.
It was another good day although not as predictable as yesterday. Cloudbases were between 6000 and 8000 ft but climbs varied between 4 and 8 kts. The early starters had a better run with one completing the 115km first leg at 149kmh at cloubase. At the end of the day things died off which slowed me down; Steve skipped  the last TP to make sure of getting home.
My speed was 127 km/h which I am quite happy with as the top pilots who started earlier got into the low 130's.
Had a lovely dinner tonight with the Wallace family and the Australian team in the town square.
The flying here is superb

Although at times visibility is poor - I am a FLARM convert.
Tomorrow is a no-fly day for me as I submit VR for technical scrutineering, and I change accommodation.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you guys are having fun!
    Say hi to Uli for me(get him to tell you his getting married story-hilarious) as well as team Claffey and Vladimir Foltin from Slovakia.
    Watching your blogs with keen interest. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete